Sunday, October 21, 2007

This doesn't surprise me

Your Political Profile:

Overall: 60% Conservative, 40% Liberal

Social Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal



This puts me, overall, close to what the media refers to as a "Centrist," a label with which I could live happily, as long as socio-economic politics can be viewed on a two dimensional chart.


Liberal<----------------------Centrist----------------------->Conservative


On such a chart, there is no room for "Libertarian" or its extreme opposite, "Statist." "Statist," a euphenism for "Authoritarian," could be the label applied to anyone who scores an overall rating of 100% as either a "Liberal" or a "Conservative", because such a rating either way implies that the quizee would place either the economy or personal choice completely in the hands of the government.
A more accurate political quiz could be found on the Advocates For Self Government page titled "The World's Smallest Political Quiz."
If the results obtained in the "How Liberal/Conservative Are You" quiz are similar to the ones displayed at the beginning of this post, they would be displayed in the "World's Smallest Political Quiz thusly:



This is called the "Nolan chart" devised by Dick Nolan, a co-founder of the Libertarian Party, as an illustration of what a Libertarian is compared to a Liberal or a Conservative.
I recommend taking both quizzes, you may be entertained, confused, dismayed, or surprised by the results, but, after all, it is educational.

1 comment:

Troy Camplin said...

I used to carry a copy of this quiz around with me in my wallet. I'm 100-100 on it too. My wife is a sort of left-centrist-libertarian -- but I'm teaching more more economics. :-)