Saturday, September 16, 2006

Unleashing the Madman

I must have been having a bad day. I'm still using a public computer to go on line, courtesy of Bill Gates, so I write everything at home and store it on flash memory. I got to the library, where the public computer resides, plugged in the "removeable storage device", and realize that I had not saved anything I had written. That's okay, though, because I had some stuff that had been written earlier, so there was, at least, something to post.
But the day didn't get any better. Walking to the grocery store, which is only three blocks away, I encountered copious amounts of oncoming vehicular traffic, while trying to cross the street. The problem is this: the right turn lane is closed for construction, so all these cars, trucks and SUVs are making their turn from the main traffic lane, which has caused a traffic jam. I can't cross at the crosswalk, because the crosswalk is blocked by traffic. The thing is, just four blocks east, which is the direction the cars are headed, there is another right turn that leads to the same major thoroughfare that these clowns are trying to get to. "Hey, dumasses!" I think loudly, though not loud enough for the drivers to hear, "if the turn lane is closed, then you don't turn there!"
Sometimes I feel like I should carry around a stack of Colorado State Drivers' Manuals to hand out to those who have forgotten the answers they gave on their driver's test. But mostly, I'm thinking that people have become mean and selfish, even in Old Colorado City, which has kept a small town attitude alive on the west side of a big city. People need to show more respect for each other, because all I want to do is cross the street while the "Walk" signal is lit.
So, half an hour later, when I finally got to the Safeway--remember, this is only three blocks away--I was already pretty unsatisfied with the situation. All I wanted was some cat food, a dozen eggs, and a loaf of bread. I got what I needed and realized that I had left my wallet at home. Luckily, there was enough change in my pocket to almost pay for what I needed--the cashier cheerfully made up the difference out of the lost change jar--and I began the long walk home--three blocks and forty-five minutes away.
Waiting for a chance to cross the street gives me a lot of time to think, and I think about what I should write for my next blog entry. I think about all the politicians and pundits I listened to on the cable news channels and on NPR, and how they must all think we are all stupid. Can't blame 'em for thinking that--we haven't given them any reason to think otherwise. I can't think like the politicians do. All I know is that what my current favorite bumper says is true--"Republicans and Democrats: Same Shit, Different Piles."
It is really a one party system--the only difference between them is that the Republicans are mad at the Democrats for writing the Constitution, and the Democrats are mad at the Republicans for freeing the slaves.
So, after having all these thoughts, I finally got across the street, and I carefully stepped over a beetle that was trying to cross the sidewalk so I wouldn't crush it. Then, I began thinking about how easy it would be to be a bug. Bugs don't have the capacity to even know how easy they have it.
If that beetle had reacted to my flipping it the Finger, I swear I would have kicked its ass.

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

kinda made the cartoon of the outhouse ring true didn't it..

RevJim said...

Yellowdog Granny, I wanted to put that picture in this post, but, as so often happens, blogger wasn't letting me do it.